Mark KZ3MW – WCARC Field Day Coordinator
TO: Wayne Co Amateur Radio Club (WCARC) and all other hams interested in participating in the planning of our 2018 WCARC Field Day deployment
The biggest annual event in Amateur Radio – ARRL Field Day – takes place the last full weekend in June (22nd-24th this year). WCARC has had a large Field Day deployment (6 – 8 stations) for the last three years… and there are no plans to “scale back” this year. At its core, Field Day is an emergency communications deployment exercise, but is also –
- A technical challenge involving field antennas, radios, generators, alternate power sources, and temporary shelters
- A chance to experience in person almost every aspect of Amateur Radio operation… even if you’re not licensed, or not licensed for high frequency operation! There will be plenty of “control operators” on hand, as well as a “Get On The Air” (GOTA) station dedicated to allowing new and / or unlicensed persons to experience ham radio.
- A chance to see and experience a myriad of antennas and radio equipment in action
- An operating challenge involving communications with more than 1,000 other sites all over North America using voice, CW (Morse Code), radio teletype, digital text, and satellite modes of radio communications
For us it all begins with our first WCARC Field Day Planning Committee meeting!
Here is the Agenda for our 1st Field Day Planning Committee Meeting –
- VIDEO “Ham Radio Could Save Us All”
- VIDEO – other club prior year’s effort
- Review of last year’s WCARC Field Day and scores
- ARRL Field Day 2018 docs (if available by this date)
- Items for improvement/ change this year
- Blimp vertical 4NEC2 model and improvements needed
- Station by station review of our site plan
The FD Planning Committee will hold several meetings prior to June 22nd. In the past we’ve held them every other week, and then weekly in the month of June. We feel we’ve gained enough experience to reduce the meeting schedule somewhat, but still encourage interested persons to attend as many of the meetings as possible to ensure planning continuity. This is the last emailing notice I will send to this entire distribution unless you wish to continue to receive FD Committee meeting notices. If you attend this meeting I’ll assume you wish to continue receiving emails unless you notify me otherwise.
Thanks for reading, and hope to see you on the 7th of March! 73,
– Mark KZ3MW
WCARC Field Day Coordinator
38 total views, 0 views today